Ingram Family

Saturday, September 8, 2007

Backpacks, Noodles, and Cyclos, Oh My!




What a day this has been. We went on a tour of Hanoi with a wonderful tour guide and driver. We began with lunch at a restaurant very close to our hotel, Le Tonkin. Basically, they served us a variety of Vietnamese food. It was great, and we are planning to eat there again before we head home. Then, we went to the Museum of Ethnology and learned a lot about the different ethnic groups in Vietnam, present and past. Our tour guide was so knowledgable. We also visited the One Pillar Pagoda, Temple of Literature, and the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum. The picture in which I am kneeling beside Isaac was taken there. If you notice, we are both looking off to the side. That is because about the time Marty took the picture, the security guard was blowing his whistle at me. It is okay to have pictures made there, but it is not okay to kneel. We quickly walked on.
The final stop on the tour was the Water Puppet Theater. This was Isaac's favorite part. The stage truly is water. There are puppeteers behind the curtain manning puppets on long sticks. It was wonderful. I told Marty I would never be able to explain it well, so he has added a link to the blog. Check it out.
After the show, we were taken by cyclo around the Old Ouarter District of Hanoi. I was thinking it might be death by cyclo. Imagine 20 scooters heading straight toward you as you are crossing the lane of oncoming traffic. The drivers didn't seem too worried, but remember, we were in front! Marty's driver was almost hit by a bus, and our cyclo ran into a scooter. Believe it or not, it was fun. I was glad Marty's cyclo was right with us the entire time. (You know me, I was already planning how Isaac and I would jump out if necessary.) Our sweet drivers brought us all the way back to the front of our hotel. I accidentally kept the fan our driver let me use. So, I went chasing him down the street with it. (As if we aren't standing out enough already.)
We also wanted to tell you about Isaac's backpack. Marty thought it would be nice for him to have one, so we bought one for him at Walmart (never thought I'd say this, but I can't wait to see one) before we left. He puts everything in it, and I mean EVERYTHING. I was trying to find a small notepad to write some notes about what I wanted to include in this blog. Guess where all the notepads are. I have had to go scavenging in there another time or two. He definitely likes having his own stuff. I do have to say it keeps things neat in the hotel room.
I brought him some little plastic boats for his bath. I couldn't find them until tonight. Actually, Marty found them in a place I'd already looked twice. He absolutely loved them. He was in the bathtub hugging them. It would have been a cute picture, but you know . . .
We had supper in the room again tonight. Our tour was from 12:00-6:00 and we were beat. We ordered Isaac some noodle soup with chicken. Let's say he left no noodle unslurped. This is a waste not, want not kind of boy. He also ate four chicken wings. Marty told him that his Uncle Joe would like that.
Well, I am ready to turn in. Please forgive all typos, etc.
We still miss home terribly and can't wait to see all of you. Lots of love to Anna Claire. We sure did love the pictures Wendy posted of you. Remember, pray, pray, pray.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marty and Jennifer,
You look like you're having so much fun with Isaac. He seems so happy with you guys. I'm sure he'll just love Anna Claire. We've enjoyed reading about your journey in Vietnam and can't wait to read more about it. Good luck coming back home! I hope Isaac doesn't get too scared. Can't wait to meet him.
Love, Kristi, Pressley and Gary Laton, and Chub and Zeke Springer

September 8, 2007 at 12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's just great that you all are sharing and experiencing Isaac's homeland while you're there. It will be so neat to share all the pictures with him when he gets older. Issac sounds much like Gabe- active, loves the pool, enjoys some tv time, LOVES to eat, is all boy, and stuffs everything in his bags. We'll definitely have to get the boys together and let them run wild! Still praying. angie

September 8, 2007 at 1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marty and Jennifer,
Sorry I haven't commented in a while. I have been reading and keep up with you guys. I just love reading all about your wonderful experiences and how awesome things are going with Isaac. I know you guys are just having a blast experiencing all the sites, etc in his homeland. I just love all the pictures you have posted. He is so adorable. I can't wait to finally meet him in person. We are all praying for you and I continue to share the request for prayer with my family, friends, and church family and from all the comments posted, you guys have so many more people praying for you than you could ever imagine. God has definitely taken care of all of you and I know that He will continue to bless you in so many ways for this. Isaac and Ann Claire are very blessed to have you as parents. We love you and continue to keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Can't wait til you guys get home!
God Bless,
Phillip and Jennifer Baucom

September 8, 2007 at 2:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! We are continuing to enjoy reading all about your adventures. Isaac just looks so comfortable and loved. The pictures of the road traffic are amazing...makes Charlotte traffic look rather smoothe. I know you are ready to come home but I know that in the future it will be sort of neat to have had time to spend touring his homeland. You will have many stories to tell. Again, he's beautiful and we are praying for all four of you.
Love ya bunches,
Debbie B.

September 8, 2007 at 6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marty and Jennifer and Isaac -

We are so glad to hear how everything is going. Isaac is precious and we hadn't seen Anna Claire in a long time. I have you on the prayer list at school. May God continue to watch over you on this new and exciting adverture! We love you all. Al, Jan, AJ and Emily

Marty - Happy Birthday, too.

September 9, 2007 at 5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home