Ingram Family

Monday, September 10, 2007

A Long Walk




This morning, we headed out by taxi back to the street where we were measured for traditional Vietnamese clothing yesterday. There are lots of really neat shops there. I am trying to find lots of little things for Isaac to place on his own Christmas tree this year. Anna Claire has her own tree each year with ornaments that are special to her. (Although, the first year we let her decorate her own tree, she kept sneaking back and forth to the kitchen where I was working. The next thing I knew, she had decorated her tree with a spatula and some plastic containers. Forgive me, I had to have a "Mommy moment".) Anyway, I am trying to find small things we can turn into ornaments. Don't worry Anna Claire, I am bringing you some things for your tree too. You have been a real trooper through all of this. We had some really great finds today.
After a little shopping, we walked by the lake. It was on our way back to the hotel. Two of the pictures we included were a bridge across and the entrance. There was a small charge to cross, but we were headed to a restaurant on the side we were walking on.
We ate lunch at a restaurant called Pho 24. Pho is a Vietnamese noodle soup. You could get lots of different things in it. We had thinly sliced beef. They also bring bean sprouts, onions, limes, hot peppers, and some greens you can use to dress it up a little. The picture of Isaac was taken at the restaurant. Marty had very wisely packed his colored pencils from Anna Claire in our backpack. He turned his placemat over and drew on the back.
On our walk back, Marty took some video of a school here. We walk past it almost everyday, as it is very close to our hotel. The children waved to us from the courtyard where they are having physical activity with their teacher. I felt bad because I know how it is to handle a distracted class. Anyway, the students all wear uniforms and most seem to come by bike or a parent's scooter. (You have to be 18 here to drive one.) Some walk. There is no school bus. They begin school about the same time as us, but close at 11:30ish to leave for lunch. They are due back around 1:00. Before you get too excited about this, let me tell you that they then stay until 4:30 or 5:00.
By the way, you may notice from some of the pictures that the scooter riders do not wear helmets. Our tour guide on Saturday told us that there is a new law about to go into effect that will require it. Beginning soon, the government workers will have to wear one to set the example. I think he said by late fall all drivers must comply.
We did hear from Truong, our social worker here from the adoption agency. We are scheduled to pick up Isaac's passport tomorrow afternoon at the Ministry of Police. Truong is going with us. Remember, he will have a Vietnamese passport.
On Thursday morning, Isaac is scheduled for his required physical at the SOS clinic. That afternoon, we have our visa interview back at the US Embassy.
We are back to the hotel for a nap now. Later, we will venture out again. The four walls of our hotel room tend to close in on us otherwise. Continue to pray for us. We love all of you.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Ingrams, I just again wanted you to know that I am thinking about you and the pictures are wonderful. I am glad that you guys are taking everything in and that you are making sure Isaac fits in with your traditions, like the Christmas tree. We miss you all so much here and can't wait for your arrival home. I am helping with the kids at Badin, when they go to the Lumber Jack Show, so I am going to go eat lunch with AC, then with Raygan, and then I am going to walk with all of them to the show. I thought AC would like someone just showing up out of the blue to eat with her. We have her a little gift, for being such a brave and good BIG sister because I know she is missing you a lot. Hope everything goes well with the physical and the visa interview, I will be praying hard. -Charm-

September 11, 2007 at 7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pictures you continue to send are absolutely amazing and beautiful. Isaac always seems to be happy and smiling-he really fits in with you guys!
Gabe also has a Christmas tree in his room- it sheds horribly and we actually leave it up all year long. If I am with the program then it is decorated for each holiday and if not then it is decorated much like his room in John Deere fashion. (it seems to be decorated this way more than any other)
That's really neat of you to think about getting these things for him while in Vietnam so he'll have them to cherish when he's older.
Crayons and colored pencils can sometimes be the best lifesavers when out and about with a 4 year old boy. I always have something stashed in my bag ready if it's needed.
Okay about the school schedule...I like the 11:30ish break until 1:00 but I don't like the whole idea of being at school until 4:30 or 5:00. I'm often there at that time but not with students in my classroom. I might have to take a siesta(?) during lunch to be able to hang in there until 4:30 or 5:00. I think that's what they do in Spain do they do that there?
Best of luck with the passport, cough, visa, etc. Continuing to keep you in my thoughts and enjoy the blogs. angie

September 11, 2007 at 7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home